Lansing clearly needs more leaders with experience in finances and – frankly – simple math. It’s time to keep a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) to the State House who can actually keep a budget and has the experience at the local government level to educate the public and bring pressure to bear on the tax-spenders in Lansing. Martin Howrylak is the proven conservative leader who has that experience and ability.
Martin Howrylak’s Accomplishments
- 100% attendance record.
- Worked with legislators on both sides of the aisle to get the job done.
- Voted to increase road funding by $330 million for fiscal year 2014 and $450 million for fiscal year 2015 without increasing taxes.
- Brought additional funding of $4 million of specifically allocated road money for Troy and Clawson (Crooks, Long Lake and Livernois Roads).
- Increased education spending by $400 million this year.
- Co-sponsored legislation allowing for more local control and more flexibility regarding school year.
- Helped veterans enter the civilian workforce with the passage of legislation that waives certain licensing fees and recognizes relevant military experience when assessing qualifications.
- Responded to over 6,000 constituent contacts, successfully assisted with over 100 constituent cases, held more than thirty open office hours and more than ten town hall/forum events in 2013. Serving the communities of Clawson and Troy by being accessible, responsive and proactive is an important part of the job of a state representative.
Martin Howrylak’s Goals:
- Repeal pension/retirement income tax (introduced HB 5796).
- Expand Homestead Property Tax relief (introduced HB 5183).
- Properly fund road repairs and improvements through proper budgetary prioritization.
- Invest effectively in Michigan’s transportation infrastructure by identifying the specific shortcomings, creating priorities for improvement and holding every project accountable to real results.
- Support controlled growth and development. There should be no subsidies for urban sprawl.
- Ensure everyone receives a quality education regardless of personal circumstances.
- Protect local control over curriculum and testing.
- Support Michigan-designed testing standard.
Government for the people
- Increase transparency, accountability and openness.
- Protect auto no-fault insurance.
- Improve services for the deaf, including education and mental health.
Martin Howrylak – An Effective Leader with Experience You Can Trust…
- State representative since 2013.
- Born, raised and lives in Troy. Married to Jane Howrylak.
- Certified public accountant (CPA) and small business owner.
- Significant experience auditing local governments.
- Served on the Troy city council from 2000-2011.
- Mayor pro-tem: 2002-2003 and 2007- 2009.
- Trustee, Southeast Oakland County Resource Recovery Authority: 2002-2004.
- Clawson Lions Club.
- Master of Accounting degree; University of Michigan (Recipient of Lynn Townsend Fellowship in Accounting).
- Bachelor of Science degree, Geological Sciences; University of Michigan (James B. Angell Scholar).
- Local entrepreneur and business owner for 22 years.